Thursday, December 21, 2000

Dashing Through the Lack of Snow

Dear Friends,

GREETINGS!

HAPPY HANNUKAH, MERRY CHRISTMAS, HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Another year has snuck up on us again, and here I am at the keys, during a break in the travels of life, to make sure that I wish you all a happy holidays. I hope that this message finds you in the best of holiday spirits.

FYI
This is the Kanestergram, in it's current form. If you received this message in error, simply reply with the words "REMOVE" blazened in the subject header.

STATS

The Kanestergram has grown to include 526 e-mail addresses in 21 different countries on three different continents.

_________________________________________________

IN REFLECTION

A lot seems to happen in a year. And then again, it seems like just a few weeks ago I was watching Peter Jennings on the air broadcasting us into the year 2000. Now it's almost 2001, and I am sure in some capacity, I'll be watching him again.

It's been another interesting year from your friend Kane. It started off with a quiet reflection of life among the silent waves and serene beauty of one of the most isolated tropical island getaways in the world - Kwajalein, in the Marshall Islands. It will end with a fight among the endless parades of traffic, coupled with the restaurants and bars teeming with all sorts of strange people helplessly grouped together from all walks of life in the melting pot known as Los Angeles.

It really doesn't seem like Christmas this year. I've been so busy I honestly haven't had time to realize that it is upon us, and since I'm away from both friends in Illinois and family in Pennsylvania, I haven't had the oppurtunity to get caught up in the Holiday spirit.

THE YEAR IN REVIEW

A lot of you sent me Christmas Cards, and it is a joy to hear from you all.

Many of you asked "where the heck are you and what are you doing now? Last time I heard from you, you were in (insert various locations around the world)"

Just to give you all an update:

I'm working for the Department of Defense here in Los Angeles. I'm an audio visual producer for the Space and Missile Systems Center at Los Angeles Air Force Base, not too far from LAX. And then on the weekends, I'm a General Assignment Reporter for the McGraw Hill ABC affiliate in Bakersfield, California, KERO-TV, Your 23.

I arrived here in LA in June after a six month tour of duty on Kwajalein in the Marshall Islands, working for Raytheon at the Armed Forces Radio and Television affiliate as a jack-of-all trades in broadcasting.

For those of you from high school, I live with fellow '95 OHS grads Rich Marincic and Rod Swearingen. Mike Ollom was here hanging out with us over the summer, and Casey Navarro lives near my office in Manhattan Beach.

WORK

My work here for the Department of Defense has allowed me the oppurtunity to do several interesting things here in LA. I met the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Henry Shelton during his address to public leaders at the Beverly Hills Hotel in September. There was the USO salutes Hollywood event at the Bevery Hills Hilton late last month in which I was able to shake the hand of legendary director and personal hero Steven Spielberg.

In Bakersfield, I was able to get my feet wet in Election 2000, which I know that by now we are all certainly tired of, but my participation was limited to local races in the San Joaquin valley and Kern County. I was also able to report on the emergency landing of Space Shuttle Discovery at Edwards Air Force Base after the 100th mission of the Space Shuttle.

JUST FOR FUN

Well, in the rare occasion I have some time off, I try to catch some movies, or seek out new and interesting dance clubs around LA.

Nocturnal Wonderland, the all night dance event held out in the desert in Indio, California, was one of the highlights of my year. Some claim that it was the largest "rave" in US history. For me it was simply a relaxing and fun way to spend Labor Day weekend, and we got to see legendary UK DJ Paul Oakenfold.

Some movies of note this year:

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - excellent movie, if only for the fight scenes. Definitely not worthy of an Oscar, but enjoyable to see nevertheless

Perfect Storm - The only movie that really touched me, and for the life of me I can't understand why

Gladiator - An awesome action flick with great performances by Russel Crowe and Joaquin Pheonix, but I wish they wouldn't have stole the screenplay to Spartacus.

Scary Movie - totally dumb, and I laughed anyway.

The Cell - Creepy and sinister, and I LOVED IT!

THE END

Please feel free to drop me a line when you get a chance, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Kane Richard Farabaugh

No comments: