Monday, October 29, 2001

E-Mail to my News Director from Pakistan

Just wanted to give you an e-mail update. I'm flying back to Islamabad tonight, and will phone for the six and eleven o'clock newscasts from there.

It's unlikely that I'll be able to do any feeding from the CBS at the Mariott. I'm not sure I have anything they want. I'm going to try, but it doesn't look logistically possible or promising. I also have failed in getting clearance to see Secretary Rumsfeld and Tommy Franks in Islamabad - security is tight.

The reports tomorrow will be the last before I head back. I arrive in Pittsburgh at 2:00AM November 1st.

I've shot almost ten hours of tape with about twenty interviews and visits to two refugee camps and hospitals where victims of the US bombing are coming into. The interview with the Taliban didn't work out, but I managed to talk with some mujahideen fighters.

There were a couple of incidents (I was stoned by children in one of the refugee camps) and a little stomach flu which I am still suffering from, but all in all I'm no worse for the wear and have tons of stories to tell when I get back.

I'll talk with you more on the phoners, and I hope this e-mail message got through.

No comments: