Thursday, June 6, 2002

Thanks from the "Front" and Back

Hello All!

It's good to get behind the monitor and write a few more words in cyberspace to see how everyone is doing and share with you more about the comings and goings here in Europe.

FIRST AND FOREMOST - THANKS!

There are hundreds of you on this e-mailing list that helped me during my assignment to Pakistan last year, and I wanted to take this opportunity to thank you. It would take me forever to thank you each in person, and if you reply, I'll share more with you, but because of your help and assistance, "Inside Pakistan: America at War" has earned a flood of recognition and awards in recent months:

2002 South Asian Journalists Association Journalism Awards - 1st Place Outstanding Story on South Asia

2002 Midwestern Emmy Award Nomination

2002 RTNDA Regional Edward R. Murrow Award - News Documentary

National American Legion 4th Estate Award for Excellence in Journalism

2002 National Livingston Awards for Young Journalists - Finalist

1st Place Best Documentary - Ohio Associated Press

1st Place Best Documentary - WV Associated Press

1st Place Best Enterprise Reporter - WV Associated Press

23rd Annual Telly Awards - Bronze Telly Award

Particularly Dr. Raheel Khan, Dr. Anis Rehman, and of course Dr. Adil Zareef in Peshawar are forever in my debt for making the trip a success once I landed in Islamabad.

OVER HERE

It's been a fun first few months working with the American Forces Network in Europe. We've got ten episodes of "Destinations" in the can and each week the show grows, and gets better and better. I'm happy with the product and getting more impressed with the quality of submissions from our detachments all throughout Europe. I've been fortunate to travel to Barcelona to cover the NFL Europe's Frankfurt Galaxy as they took on the Barcelona Dragons. Barcelona was a fun, but intense, three day effort that put Destinations on the road for the first time. It turned out well. The Schlossburg, or castle at Burg, was also another fun Destinations piece we did on an old Midevil castle in Northern Germany. Our recent trip to Berlin to cover President Bush's visit there was also exciting, but also an adventure fighting with the German press office to grant us media passes. I'm getting ready for an assignment to Central Asia.. (more information to follow upon my return)

COMING HOME

We'll, not actually, but I am returning to New York City to recieve the South Asian Journalists Assocaition Award at Columbia University, and I'll also be producing a special piece when I'm in town on a New York City Police Officer who was the crime scene photographer on September 11th. That should be fun and rewarding, and will also be my first visit to Ground Zero. If any of you are in town June 14th through the 18th, let me know. I'm also hoping to make it back to Pittsburgh and Charleston in the middle of July.

THE SAGA CONTINUES

Many of you know that I'm a big Star Wars fan, and I have to say that the latest installment did not disappoint, as I feared it might. I thought that "Attack of the Clones" is the second best Star Wars Movie (behind Empire Strikes Back) and is the second best movie I've seen this year (behind Black Hawk Down) Sound off and give me your opinion on the movie. I haven't seen Spider Man yet (that's on the schedule tonight)

THE END AS I KNOW IT

That's all for right now... I could go on forever, but then you probably would never get to the end of the Kanestergram. Hope this message finds you all in good health and good spirits. Please reply when you get a chance.

Kane

No comments: